dipole resonance

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: dipole resonance

Post by Bernie on Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:19 pm

Thanks Ivan,

I will do some other tests as you suggest, firstly coiling the feedline near the feedpoint, but also later placing it higher- The 2 mts was an easy start.

Bernie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:25 am

Hi Bernie,
you did not use a balun on the dipole ? You never eliminate the outer side of the coax shield thoroughly in such case. I suspect the resonance at 16,5 MHz is a basic resonance of the coax stub capacitively loaded by the dipole. Do the strange dips move when you change the length of the coax ? Can you do your GDO measurements directly at the center of the dipole ?
BTW the height of the dipole (2 m) seems to be too small.

VBR from Ivan

Ivan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

dipole resonance

Post by Bernie on Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:12 pm

Yesterday I put up a dipole for 10m, on the almost final location (about 2 meters high and reasonably clear of other objects). And tried to see where it was resonant at, for later making it resonate at 28.25 Mhz.

The 150/f  ½ wavelength was first multiplied by 0.95 (for end effects, etc), then cut 10% longer to allow for trimming.
While connecting everything at the center insulator, a couple of knots and the splicing may have reduced the length aprox 10cm. Final length unknown but near 5 mts

The feedline was 10m of coaxial cable, 0,82 vf, which I estimate to be 1.2 wavelenghts at 28.25 Mhz (I read is the right length to minimize outer side of coax shield radiation)

Resonance was checked with my all-purpose GDO and found the following dips:  16.5 – 30.7 – 42.0 – 54.5 – 68.0 Mhz, all read from the “hand-calibrated” scale.

The 30.7 and 68.0 (which I expected near 63 Mhz not 68) I presume are the fundamental and 2nd harmonic for the ½ wavelength. (dipole ended up too short?)

But I am in doubt with the 16.5  - 42.0 – 54.5 Mhz dips.

Can the 16.5 Mhz dip be the dipole resonating as a quarter wavelength?

I searched the internet for sample antenna analyzer plots but all I found seem to show the dipoles resonate at fundamental and harmonics, never sub-harmonics…

Bernie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum