email to Harry

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: email to Harry

Post by Syncopat on Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:03 pm

Ok Harry, that's more clear than the list you published. thank you

No, not guilty.  Never spoke or 'phoned. 

Syncopat

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:20 pm

Syncopator wrote:I find your list illogical.

It is quite easy, the rules are processed in numeric sequence and can easily cleanup your INBOX if you get regular SPAM.. Consider a simplified version:

1 - if the mail is too big then delete from the server without downloading and do not process further rules.

At this point I will not waste more time downloading huge mails. SPAMmers JPEG pictures of packets of Via-gra and excel files with products simply disappear without the download traffic costs or waiting time.

2 - if the mail is addressed to me move to my INBOX and do not process further rules.
3 - if the mail is from "wanted people" people move message to my INBOX and do not process further rules.

Now I have in my INBOX all of the messages I want. That which remains is rubbish.

4 - auto-reply with a suitable message (and continue processing more rules).

5 - delete the message (all messages contain "@" so that is a good search criterion).

This technique effectively removes almost all SPAM from your mailbox.

So, I am still waiting for your e-mail. As a matter of interest are you the guy I met today and was calling me on the phone several times over the weekend? If so then I am sorry but I had two festive parties and was not really available (or capable) of driving anywhere. That is why the telephone was switched OFF.

Very best regards from Harry

Admin

View user profile http://www.sm0vpo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Syncopator on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:18 pm

Sorry Harry,

I find your list illogical.

Never mind, it wasn't important.

Syncopator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:15 pm

I think that you have slightly misunderstood the object of the code.

Rule No-6 is a global "delete everything" because all e-mail contains the "@" character. Rules 1 to 5 select the mail I DO want. That which remains is junk and is suitable processed by rule 6.

I first did when the late G6YCC posted my e-mail address harold.lythall@ericsson.se on his homepages. SPAMmers then began publishing this attractive address and I received litterally 1000s of messages a day. Ericsson IT services flatly refused to change my e-mail address.

So I devised 10 rules for all incoming mail:
1 to 5 trapped the mail I WANTED to get (addressed to me)
Rules 6 to 9 each sent back a "soddoff" message to the sender
Rule 10 deleted the message.

So only mail addressed to me or from people I wanted to get mail from ended up in my inbox. It worked great for me.

It didn't work so well for IT-support. Each day there was 990 SPAM messages arriving and 3960 "soddoff" messages were returned to the SPAMmers. 3900 of those messages were undeliverable so I got 3900 undeliverable messages. This resulted in 15500 more "soddoff" messages, which bounces, resulting in over 60,000 more "soddoff" messages.

Ericsson IT-support sent me a message to tell me to switch OFF these rules, but IT-support came from "...@compaq.com", which was not in my acceptance criteria. So they received 4 "soddoff" messages.

Three days after starting this the network became overloaded with bouncing mail, made worse because others in the department was I received very little SPAM, so they copied my 10 rules. The network could not handle the traffic. They sent a guy to my office to talk to me. They agreed to give me a middle name i do not have = harold.h.lythall@ericsson.se and in exchange I would remove my 10 rules.

I only deleted the mail-bounce rules (6 to 9) so the SPAM still failed to reach me.

If you want to send me mail you can write to:

sm0vpo2008@sm0vpo.com
Many "intelligent" servers reject this since sm0vpo appears in both fields of the address and looks like an invented address. This address I have used in usernet postings.

british.inteligence.sweden@sm0vpo.com
This address will also get to me but note that the word "inteligence" is incorrectly spelled.

I also have oeieio@hotmail.com and harryvpo@hotmail.com but these I do not check daily. I use them when I travel abroad and need to use a public computer.

For !normal" use I always use "harry.lythall@.." but I try not to publish this too often in public forums.

Very best regards from Harry - SM0VPO

Admin

View user profile http://www.sm0vpo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:27 pm

Send him a private message via this forum.

BR from Ivan

Ivan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

email to Harry

Post by Syncopator on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:27 pm

Harry's rule number 6 regarding unnaceptable email says that the sender's address should not include the symbol "@".

How many email addresses don't?

So how can I send email to him?

Syncopator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top