Being a kid again.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Being a kid again.

Post by Runem on Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:19 pm

Just posted a link to the receiver schematic.

Runem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Runem on Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:40 pm

Ivan and Dragon:
There is also this thing called "propeller walk" (look it up on wikipedia) and it has something to do with how steep the angle of the propeller shaft is, and also how deep the propeller sits in the water in relation to the hull. This tin boat suffers quite a lot from this phenomena, and I had to shift weights (batteries) around and trim the rudder pretty hard over to one side to compensate.
Jalex2:
You sneaky little lazy beesturd! You should have been forced to go on a long swim! Razz 

Silly me have forgotten to make a schematic this week (in heavens name, how did i manage to do that?), but hopefully I have increased the cuteness a bit by making some accessories to put on here and there. Of course I can't sail under a false flag, so please excuse me you english blokes out there, I had to put on a proper one. cheers 
I think I will try to do the receiver schematic tomorrow evening.

So this is how it looks like now:

Runem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonForce on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:55 pm

Yes, that's exactly what happened to mine, only I didn't have any real torque so it only went in a semi-circular curve.  Now you come to mention it, I have now after 40 years, worked out why it wouldn't go straight!

View user profile http://www.dragonchat.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:12 am

Hi all,
in the age of 7 or 8, I made a small wooden boat, powered by a rubber band and a propeller. Unfortunately, its bottom was completely flat. As soon as the propeller started to turn, the boat cartwheeled and stayed upside down on the water surface. Since then, I know well the importance of keel and weight !

BR from Ivan

Ivan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonForce on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:34 am

Reminds me of when I was a child, I made a little flat bottomed floating platform, some 12 inches long, 3 inches wide (because the balsa wood we could buy back then came in 3 foot long planks, 3 inches wide, and whatever thickness you wanted, pretty much).  On top of this I added a flat "deck", a place for several HP7 batteries (now those are called "AA"), a motor and a prop.  I made a little air powered boat, of course it was top heavy, a light breeze and the thing tipped over, but hey - it worked!  Lumbered along at slightly less than walking pace too!

No RC back in those days (VERY late 60's, maybe early 70's).  I had no idea how to steer it, no idea how to stop it tipping over, it just occurred t me that if a plane can move at silly speeds with nothing more than a motor and prop, a boat should be able to do the same with it's prop in the air, rather than the water - and it worked.  Steering ailerons, twin hulls and keels were outside of my understanding level when I was 9 or 10, and RC was something for rich kids.

I remember I sealed and painted it with bright red cellulose lacquer.  Tested it in the bath, and it's maiden voyage across St. George's Park lake was a success.  Lucky it was a windless day Smile

I can't really find a good picture of the lake on Google - it's not very large but has an island in the middle of it.  Even have little paddle boats out during the summer  [url=http://www.proangler.co.uk/Free Venues.html]http://www.proangler.co.uk/Free%20Venues.html[/url]

View user profile http://www.dragonchat.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jalex2 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi Rumen
Wow Very nice work.
I was never into RC boats as I don't like any water sports too much and I was always afraid that my boat would quit out in the lake and I would have figure out how to get it back. LOL
I flew model airplanes for years and used to drive to Boise, Idaho every year and do aerial stunts at the annual model meet.  I dumped a plane in a lake a few times but was always able to get some one to retrieve it for me. LOL Also I had one in a thin ice covered lake once but I got it out with my fishing pole. LOL

Jalex2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Being a kid again.

Post by Runem on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:52 pm

Well, I found this boat on ebay and bought it. It's a Sutcliffe "Kestrel" tin boat, probably made the early seventies. When I got it, I noticed a very interesting odor of salt sea, paint and fuel that had kinda "baked" into it. Anyone that have stuck their nose in an old boathouse, will understand what I mean. It brought back some memories from my childhood when my grandpa was messing with an old small outboard engine, in a boathouse, with me standing beside giving some "good advice" (ho-hum).
The thing that i just got from England was in a sad state. It was full of rust pitting and even small holes here and there, which I eventually tinned shut. The motor bracket was almost gone and also the original paint job. There wasn't much to lose by modifying and restoring it to a usable condition. At least I think so - others may have another opinion.
The restoration began with filing down the fold that keeps the hull and deck together, so I could part the two halves and do an "inside job" on the hull. The motor (totaly wrecked) and motor bracket was removed and substituted with a bracket made from aluminum, and a CD player spindle motor found in my parts bins. The original propeller shaft was driven by a drive dog type coupling, so I cut away that part, and then mounted a homemade one in there, made of PVC wire insulation tubing. Works quite well! In the end I gave the boat a paint job, of course.
Then I sat down and pondered about how I could make suitable radio control system, not deviating too far from what cheap RC toys from that era was equipped with. I figured that a self-centering "bang-bang" servo would do the trick (which actually works remarkably well in my opinion). A remote forward, stop and reverse control would make the system quite "luxurious". For the RC system I used a PIC 12F683 micro-controller, sending serial data to a 433Mhz TX module, and another 12F683 on the receiving end, fed from a RX module on the same frequency.
Enough with the waffling, time to show a video and some pictures!
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7sOliVOa9Q

Files for the receiver:
http://www.filedropper.com/receiver
For the transmitter:
http://www.filedropper.com/transmitter_1

Let me know if any of these links doesn't work.

Last edited by Runem on Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Runem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum